There are few books–non-fiction and fiction–books on America during WWI, although I’ve seen some crop up here and there in the last several years. I’m in the middle of planning a second novel, set in WWI Chicago and migrating to Fort Riley, Kansas. While my plot is still in the elementary stages, I’ve put together a collection of visual images of items, settings, and characters for the novel.
Left to Right by Row:
- Yeast Foam makes tasty buckwheat cakes.
- Army barracks, circa. 1920, Fort Riley, Kansas.
- Delivering milk.
- Preparing apples on the front porch.
- Cattle ranch, Kansas.
- November 11, 1918 newspaper headline.
- Oreo “sandwich,” 1913.
- Two mischievous brothers breaking the wishbone.
- Sugar rationing in WWI. (I wonder, what other sweeteners did they use?)
Photo Credits: Pinterest