Various Publications, from magazine articles to blog posts to contest mentions and wins
- 2002 – two devotionals in a ladies’ magazine.
- 2005 – nonfiction short story in Faith Writer’s Teen Truth section.
- 2006 – third place Editor’s Choice themed contest winner. Promise with a Letter published in Faith Writers anthology Come Away with Me.
- 2013 – writing internship with Answers Magazine. Three publications: Online Promotional for July-Sept. 2013 issue and two editorial articles for the Impact section of the Oct.-Dec. 2013 issue.
- 2013 – write-up in PCC’s Update about my professional writing internship.
- 2014 – finalist for and won PCC’s Original Narrative Fiction Commencement Contest, a short WWII historical fiction story, “Puddle of Remorse.”
- 2014 – nonfiction personal essay highly commended for July’s Faith Writers Writing Challenge.
- 2015 – WWII historical fiction short story “Puddle of Remorse” published in PCC’s student literary publication Fountains.
- 2015 – placed number fifteen in Faith Writers Page Turner Fiction Contest (To Protect, WWI novel).
- 2017 – mentioned on author David Rawlings’s website. (Author of The Baggage Handler, Christy Award 2019)
- 2017 – “Obsession of 130 Hats,” a nonfiction personal essay in Fountains. (Purchase copies at the Campus Store.)
- 2017 – “Graze in Security,” a devotional for the Christian PEN: Proofreaders and Editors Summer Network News.
- 2017 – “Three Steps to Start Your Freelance Business,” an article for PEN Tips Blog.
- 2017 – “Working Deadlines Through the Holidays,” an article for PEN Tips Blog.
- 2018-Current. Blogger for Almost an Author, under The Picky Pen. Website named Writer’s Digest Top 100 Websites. Various topics on self editing. Fiction and nonfiction.
- 2018 – guest blogger for several websites, including Heroes, Heroines, and History, Kathleen Denly, Historical Fiction and HIStory Thru the Ages.
- 2018 – wrote back-cover and marketing copy for Planned from the Start devotional, companion to Unplanned, the major feature film coming nationwide to US theaters March 2019.
- September 2019 – contributed nonfiction essay “The Meaning of an Heirloom” in The Horse of My Dreams: True Stories of the Horses We Love, available from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
- 2019 – line edited blog post article, Redemption Press Editing Offers Competitive Edge to Authors.
Interviews & Conference Speaking
Sought-after topics include: self-editing, a book’s felt need, and marketing/networking.
I am happy to speak to teens, college students, and adults who are curious, teachable, and want to grow their writing and editing skills, or who want to break into freelance writing and editing.
Platforms include: in-person and online.
- September 2018. Write NOW! Workshop Podcast, host Kitty Bucholtz, Editing with Style. https://podcast.writenowworkshop.com/098i-self-editing-style-interview-tisha-martin/.
- October 2018. Two breakout sessions at Breathe Christian Writers Conference, Just Beginning: Self-Editing Your Way to Success and Moving Along: Navigating the Psychological Mysteries of Self-Editing.
- February 2019. Two breakout sessions for FlourishWriters Online Writers Conference. Self-editing for Writers.
- May 2019. Co-taught Author Bootcamp 1.0 with managing editor of Redemption Press. Elements of Great Writing: Microstructure and Macrostructure. Nonfiction.
- June 2019. ACFW Chapter meeting. First Page Editing Panel. LIVE Evaluation.
- August 2019. Two breakout sessions for FlourishWriters Online Writing Conference, Encore Presentation, one week only. Self-editing for Writers. *In 2019, the FlourishWriters conferences reached over 20,000 writers.*
- October 2019. Co-taught Author Bootcamp 2.0 with managing editor of Redemption Press. Elements of Great Writing: Microstructure and Macrostructure. Fiction and nonfiction.
January 2020. Breakout session for FlourishWriters Online Writing Conference. Self-Editing Your Fiction Writing.
- June 2020. Breakout session for FlourishWriters LIVE Conference. Finding the Felt Need.
- June 2020. FlourishWriters LIVE Conference. Presented two manuscript evaluations: fiction and nonfiction. First Five Pages.
- June 2020. ACFW Chapter. Online meeting. Escape the Slush Pile. First page review.
- June 2020. Podcast guest for The Professional Writer Podcast, Laura Christianson at Blogging Bistro. Recipe for An Almost-Perfect Manuscript and Three Ways A Professional Editor Provides Value.
- April 2021. Presentation to professional writing college juniors and seniors. Risk & Reward of Freelance Editing.
- November 2021. ACFW Online meeting. Panel: Development Editing.
- June 2022. ACFW Chapter. First Page Follies. First page review.
- September 2022. Presentation to professional writing college students. Risk & Reward of Freelance Editing. Fiction and Nonfiction Content Editing. How to Network Successfully.
- TBD 2023. ACFW Chapter. Presentation and workshop. Finding the Felt Need.
Clients Who Have Placed in Prestigious Writing Contests
- Cathryn Swallia, writing as C.F. Gannett. Historical romance, ACFW’s First Impressions. 2018; Historical fiction, third place in West Coast Christian Writer’s Conference First Page contest. 2019
- Brianna Tibbetts. Children’s, fantasy, Realm Makers. 2020
- Michele McCarthy. Picture Book, Selah Awards finalist. 2020
- Jolene Saunders. He’s Worth the Wait. Nonfiction memoir/devotional. Selah Awards finalist. 2020
- Christine T. Rose. Life Beyond #MeToo: Creating a Safer World for Our Mothers, Daughters, and Sisters & Friends. Finalist in the Best New Nonfiction category of the International Book Awards. 2021
My Three Professional Portfolios: Fiction/Children’s Editing; Nonfiction Editing; Back-cover Copy
Member of NAIWE and ACFW.
Education: bachelor’s in professional writing, minor in education, and master’s in English with Curriculum & Instruction.